Spring is in the air here in Paso Robles and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Paso Robles Heating and Air team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Paso Robles Heating and Air in Paso Robles a call at 805-203-8667.