The changing weather in Paso Robles can mean a variety of things, from the changing seasons to flipping off the switch of your air conditioner for the cooler months. Of course, total home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re headed for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner fails to work or you notice it operating strangely, there are a couple things you can check on before calling in the pros at Paso Robles Heating and Air for AC repair. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a shout.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the simplest checks that homeowners can do themselves, and may solve the concern more than they’d like to admit. Make sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Tuned to be around room temperature
- Utilizing a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a peep. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for quite a few AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can change it yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and harms airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Near the air conditioner itself and normally look like your stereotypical light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Pinpoint the breaker that controls your air conditioner and find out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A routine blunder among homeowners is to close vents in vacant rooms, but this may actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents could potentially cause your system to be less efficient and stop working because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve done these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back operating, it’s probably time to give us a shout. The pros at Paso Robles Heating and Air in Paso Robles are here to ensure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 805-203-8667 to set up an appointment with us.